Taste It Thursdays~ Naptime M.O.Ms Cook with PESTO!


Catherine McCord of Weelicious

What is your best advice for M.O.Ms who want to plan a healthy family meal?
Growing up my mother always made dinners that included a protein, carbohydrate and vegetable. When I'm making a meal, I always try to make sure that it includes each of those things so I know I'm offering my family a balanced meal. Most important, pick foods you know the entire family enjoys and eat them together.

What is the key to prep meals for the week/that day?
Plan ahead as much as possible. So often moms get overwhelmed during the day and by the time 5pm rolls around we pick things we normally wouldn't. I try to cook foods on Sundays that will stay fresh in the fridge for a few days like grilled chicken or salmon, brown rice, pasta and roast veggies. This way I can throw together a healthy meal in no time flat.

Kitchen must-have or book ‘to cook by’
Blender for smoothies, popsicles and soups, a good sharp knife for cutting up fruits and veggies and a hand microplane for shredding cheese and veggies. It doesn't cost a lot of money to have the basic kitchen tools for making incredibly delicious and simple meals!


Recipe for our M.O.Ms to Enjoy

photo courtesy of Weelicious.com
I keep Pesto in the fridge at all times. It's perfect on fish, chicken, pasta, rice and even quinoa!


2 Cups Fresh Basil

1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese, grated

1/4 Cup Pine Nuts

1 Garlic Clove

1/2 Tsp Salt

1/4 Cup Olive Oil

1. Place all ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth.

2. Serve.


For More Kitchen Guidance ~ Follow our Naptime M.O.M Cook:
Twitter: @weelicious
Facebook: Weelicious

About our M.O.M Catherine
I started modeling and traveling the world at a very young age, tasting and being turned onto foods that were exciting and exotic to my Kentucky bred palette. When I was living in Paris, Milan, New York and traveling to places like Tokyo, Morocco and Sydney, I became obsessed with learning about local cuisine.

Later I went to culinary school, then worked in a few restaurants trying to learn more tricks of the trade.

Whenever people ask me what type of cuisine I like to cook the best, I say “what’s fresh”. The most important part of food is the ingredients you start with. I like simple food that speaks for itself.


When I had my kids, Kenya and Chloe, I realized that I wanted them to be exposed to seasonal, organic food that’s as pure as possible. I want them to know that food shouldn’t have to be pumped with sugar, salt and preservatives to be delicious.

Kenya and Chloe only know what I feed them. If I gave them McDonalds, they’d love it, but if I give them pesto chicken, that’s what they’ll crave.

Parents’ lives are busy, but we also want our kids to have the best. The recipes on this site are delicious, nutritious and easy, but most important, they’re fast. I make cooking fun for all of us. I prop Chloe in her high chair and let Kenya sit on a stool so they can both be part of the process. Who knows, maybe one of them will be a great chef someday. Ahh….a mother’s dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment